top of page
ANC 4A DECEMBER 2015 MEETING MINUTES
Minutes – Advisory Neighborhood Commission 4A
December 1, 2015 Regular Public Meeting
The meeting was held at the Ft. Stevens Recreation Center, 1300 Van Buren Street NW. Commissioner Stephen Whatley, Chair (and ANC 4B03) noted the absence of a quorum at 7:05 PM. He called for community comments and concerns, and reports from the Councilmember and Mayor’s office, along with other reports.
A quorum was established at 7:39 PM and Chair Whatley called the meeting to order at 7:40 PM. Also present were Commissioners 4A01 Acqunetta Anderson, 4BA04 Patience Singleton, 4A06 Karrye Braxton, and 4A08 Gale Black. A quorum was present for all votes. Commissioners 4A02 Dwayne Tolliver, 4A05 Kim Worthy and 4A07 Dave Wilson were absent.
1) Approval of the Agenda
Commissioner Whatley moved to approve the agenda. Commissioner Black noted that the resolution regarding the PEPCO/Exelon merger settlement agreement on the agenda approved the merger, but the Commission had not voted to rescind its previous vote in opposition to the merger. She opposed reconsideration of the vote to oppose the merger and asked that the resolution be removed from the agenda.
Commissioner Whatley called for a vote on the question of keeping the Exelon-PEPCO merger settlement agreement on the agenda. The vote was 2 in favor of keeping it and 3 in favor of removing it. The merger issue was removed from the agenda.
Commissioner Black moved to approve the agenda as amended. Commissioner Anderson seconded the motion. The motion was adopted 5 yes, 0 no.
2) Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Black noted the following corrections to the October 6, 2015 minutes: on page two, section VI, 1, the sentence beginning “Commissioner Braxton struck….” and the following sentence should read: “Commissioner Braxton struck language regarding density, rules of measurement, vehicle parking and car sharing. Commissioner Wilson revised language relating to density. . . .”
Commissioner Black moved that the October 6, 2015 minutes be approved as corrected. Commissioner Whatley seconded the motion. The motion was adopted, 5 yes, 0 no.
3) 16th Street Circle Traffic Safety Resolution
Commissioner Anderson moved that the Commission adopt a resolution recommending that additional traffic safety measures be installed at the 16th Street Circle at the intersection of Eastern Avenue NW and the East-West Highway, and that DDOT and Maryland work together to redesign the circle to improve safety. Commissioner Black seconded the motion.
Following extended discussion, the motion was adopted, 3 yes, 2 no.
4) Alley Closure – Alaska Avenue and 15th Street NW, Square 2732
Commissioner Anderson presented a resolution requesting that DDOT install barriers at the ends of an alley located at Alaska Avenue NW in Square 2732 that has already been closed by DDOT. The barriers will improve pedestrian safety.
Following discussion, Commissioner Black moved to postpone consideration of the resolution to the January 5, 2016 meeting. Commissioner Braxton seconded the motion. The motion was adopted, 3 yes, 1 no, 1 abstain.
1) A constituent asked about maintenance of the Walter Reed site. She said the grounds were not being maintained properly. The grass Is not being cut and vegetation is not being trimmed. The grounds are not being cleaned. She wanted to know who is responsible for maintenance and cleanup. Commissioner Whatley responded that the U.S. Army is still responsible for maintenance until the property is transferred to the District government.
2) Mr. Kevin O’Day, 1616 Webster Street NW, asked the Commission to support his application for a special exception under the Zoning Regulations to construct an outside deck. Mr. O’Day’s property is located in Commissioner Black’s single-member district (4B03). Commissioner Black said she did not think there was any reason for the Commission to comment on the application since there is no objection to the deck.
Presentations and Reports
1) Mr. Randall Clark, Director, Walter Reed Local Redevelopment Authority, reported on upcoming events and the Committee’s schedule.
2) Megan Kanagy, Transportation Planner, District Department of Transportation, presented information on plans to improve bus service on 16th Street NW.
3) Ms. Cheryl Newman, representing Councilmember Todd, gave an update on issues of concern to Ward 4.
4) Mr. Khalil Thompson, Ward 4 Liaison for Mayor Muriel Bowser, gave a report on current issues and concerns being addressed by the Mayor.
Commissioner Whatley moved that the meeting be adjourned. Commissioner Braxton seconded the motion. The motion was adopted unanimously.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:42 PM.
bottom of page